In my family, counting down the days till our next holiday is almost as fun as the holiday itself! Apps are great for this, however because we were revealing our holiday to Disney’s Aulani Resort in Hawaii to the kids on Christmas day (as our Christmas gift), I needed something a little more exciting and visual! As anticipated the kids reaction when they unwrapped this Disney Count down was priceless. It lived on our TV cabinet so it was a huge reminder every day about our up coming holiday…..and the kids loved flipping the numbers over every morning!
To make a Disney count down you will need :
1. A large foam wreath and 2 smaller wreaths for the ears.
You can get these from craft shops. I got mine from Riot Art & Craft.
2. Lots and lots of black wool.
If you painted the wreaths black first you wouldn’t have to be so careful not to leave white spaces. (I learnt this the hard way). Wind the wool around the wreath and tie a knot to secure it in place. Continue to wind the wool and completely cover all the white. This is quite time-consuming so leave yourself plenty of time. I did a little bit each night once the kids were in bed. Once covered I just tied the ears on with the wool.
3. Mini Bunting flags.
I got mine from Kmart for about $3. Anywhere that sells scrap booking products should have them. I used pins to secure the buntings in place.
4. Craft letters. I glued the letters on with PVA glue.
5. Laminate numbers and punch holes at the top in the middle. I used Disney font. Put curtain rings through the holes. Use pins and some black wool to attach to the wreath. Remember to make your numbers small enough to flip over.
6. Then start counting down! Your holiday will come around before you know it!
What interesting or different ways have you counted down to holiday? Comment below, we would love to hear from you!
Bon Voyage 🙂
Travelling with kids? Download our free digital kids travel journal ~ 10 colourful printable pages ~ makes a memorable holiday keepsake and the ultimate Show and Tell memento! It’s our gift to you x